<$BlogRSDUrl$>

5/04/2004

My favourite things PART ONE music... 

In the spirit of my hero (Oprah...) I have decided to give the children some of my favourite things. The first of what will likely be a series: music. And I'm talking long term here, dudes. Like ALL TIME FAVOURITE. Really all you need to know are two words. The Boss.



The first time I ever got in trouble at school was in the first grade. Instead of listening to a book on tape in class, I put in Springsteen's Born in the USA. It would have been fine, except I accidentally pulled the headphones out of the jack and the music was just blaring. Mrs. Davidson took that cassette away and didn't give it back for months. I didn't care though, it was totally worth it.

Seriously though, Bruce has always been there for me. I think the soundtrack of my life so far would go something like this:

1. The River -- Bruce Springsteen
2. The Elephant Song -- Sharon, Lois and Bram
3. Dancing in the Dark -- Bruce Springsteen
4. Scarecrow -- John Cougar Mellancamp
5. Skip the Disney Songs Phase
6. Wonderwall -- Oasis
7. Glycerine-- Bush X
8. Comfortably Numb -- Pink Floyd
9. Linoleum -- NOFX
10. 40oz. to Freedom -- Sublime
11. Right Here in these Arms -- H.I.M.
12. Bad as They Seem -- Hayden
13. The River -- Bruce Springsteen (things sort of came full circle when I turned 17...)

Hopefully in a few years Glory Days will be the soundtrack to my life. Here's an excerpt:

"Now I think I'm going down to the well tonight
and I'm going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away
and leaves you with nothing mister but
boring stories of glory days"

Things go a way back for me and Bruce. When Protools Auto-tune and keyboards make me want to shoot myself, and all I want is some soul, I throw on the Essential Album... it makes me feel better. There's just something about Bruce Springsteen. I think I'd like to meet him.

My Essential Bruce Springsteen:

The River
Dancing in the Dark
Lucky Town (album)
City of Ruins
American Skin
Atlantic City
Glory Days
Thunder Road
Born to Run

A certain blogger and I had a conversation about this post the other day. He said:

"I mean the boss is cool, but 'the river'.... and all that , sure its good, very good, but does it really speak to you?"

I've been thinking about this. And I decided last night that it does indeed. Last night I drove for an hour in the dark and didn't see one other car. The only people around were the kids who work the night shift at the 24 hour Tim Horton's, sitting on the curb smoking cigarettes. And I remembered what it was that made me want to leave in the first place.

"Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run"

I like most Springsteen songs. But the ones about running away are the ones that really get to me. And I guess that's why I like him. I just forgot is all.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting by HaloScan.com